I have a goal for each and every one of you reading this post right now. I would like to somehow convince you to try white miso paste in something other than soup. If you already have (AWESOME), but stay with me because I have something for you at the bottom of this post.
Why have I made this my strange mission-of-the-week? As a lover of all things food, I think it’s really important that we all continue to explore and push outside of our comfort zones in the kitchen. And if you’re really not sure about this miso stuff I’m pushing on you, trust me, this recipe is the one to try it on.
After picking up this beautiful locally grown corn from the brand new produce stand at the end of my street, I really wanted to stand outside in the 105 degree heat and grill some serious char marks onto it. The wasp nest that recently took ownership of my grill had different plans. There was no battle. There was no debate. They won and they will own our grill until the man of the house has time to move them elsewhere.
Back to the corn. I decided to try making some beautiful char marks in my oven instead, and you know what? It didn’t turn out half bad! The trick (I found out) is to put the oven rack on the very top shelf and turn the broiler on high. As SOON as those puppies came out of the oven, I slathered them in the most amazing combination of salty & sumptuous. Yes, it’s my all time favorite….miso butter.
Don’t get me wrong, I’d spread straight white miso paste on a piece of toast and enjoy the crap out of it. Let’s be honest, I’d eat it out of the carton with a spoon and be a happy little clam. But if you’re trying it for the first time, mixed with butter and spread all over corn might be the right starting point for you. 😉
Oven Roasted Corn On The Cob With Miso Butter
- 4 ears of corn
- oil, to coat
- salt & pepper
- 1 clove garlic, fine mince
- 1 tsp ginger, fine mince
- 1 tsp jalapeno, fine mince
- 3 TBS miso paste
- 5 TBS butter, softened
- 1 tsp horseradish root, grated
- scallions, cut on bias, to garnish
- Put oven on high broil and set the rack on the top row. If you have a grill plate, put it in the oven before you heat it up.
- Shuck your corn and rub with a bit a oil with your hands. Season with salt and pepper and place in the oven on the top rack.
- Allow to broil for about 4-5 minutes until slightly charred and then rotate. Do this 3-4 times.
- While in oven, combine the garlic, ginger, jalapeno, miso paste, butter and horseradish in a small bowl. Since the garlic & jalapenos are raw, make sure they are chopped SUPER fine.
- Remove the corn from the oven and slather the butter mixture ALL over it. 🙂 Garnish with scallions and enjoy right away!