I don’t know about you guys, but my 4th of a July was a riot! Fireworks, brats, this chicken, and a cornucopia of red, white, and blue desserts. It was fabulous. I hope y’all had as much fun as I did! Admittedly, holiday entertaining is a ton of work and my body has been telling me it’s time to lay off the rich and heavy food for just a while. So I’m happy to announce that this week on So Munch Love, we will be featuring a handful of recipes that are good for you and easy to prepare. That way your body and mind can take a break from all the Independence Day craziness. You totally deserve it.
Which brings me to this salsa! Raise your hand if you’re a fan of mango salsa. Awesome, me too! Fruit salsas are light, easy to make, healthy, and filled with tons of exciting flavors. You get a bit of sweet, salty, spicy, and tangy. So I took that idea and ran with a juicy, sweet seasonal fruit– apricots!
This Apricot Pico de Gallo is to die for. The lime and serrano transform the apricots into something transcendental. In fact, when I was testing this recipe, I made a half batch, got a little carried away and ate the entire thing with chips. It was just what I needed. Fast, easy, and bursting with vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants. Delish. Other than devouring an entire bowl with chips, here are some other ways to enjoy your fruity apricot pico:
- Over grilled fish
- On pan seared pork chops
- Stirred into couscous with some pecans
- With jerk chicken
- Stirred together with cooked shrimp for a quick “ceviche”
- Mixed with a bit of shredded chicken and mayo for a delicious sammich filling
- On a turkey burger or black bean burger
- In a goat cheese quesadilla
- Sprinkled on a grilled hot dog (yes, really!)
Okay, I’ve got to stop there. I’m going to drown in my drool. There really are a ton of applications and they can be as healthy or as rich as you’d like. But don’t take my word for it! Whip up a batch and see what kind of magic you can create. I triple dog dare you!
So how was your 4th of July and what would you do with this salsa? We’d love to hear all about it! See you soon!
- 6 medium apricots, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1-2 serrano chiles, finely diced
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt to taste
- Combine everything in a medium bowl. Devour immediately with chips, fish, chicken, or pork!