*smack, smack* *chomp chomp* *nom, nom, nom* Oh hey, I didn’t see you there. I was just devouring a pile of wings with feral enthusiasm. #noshame Would you like some? I promise (kind of) not to bite.
There’s something really primal and satisfying about tearing meat off of chicken bones, especially the wings because they are the perfect balance of skin, meat, and bones. This results in, when cooked properly, a succulent, moist meat with tons of flavor and a browned, crispy skin. That’s the spirit, I hear you snarling– or was that just your stomach?
So in celebration of all that is delicious about chicken wings, I’d love to share with you this no-fail, super simple wing recipe. The sauce is comprised of only 3 simple ingredients, but has so much flavor complexity. We’re talkin’ sweet, tangy, spicy, and salty. That’s the beauty of this honey, chipotle, and mustard mix. It hits all the flavor sweet spots. And don’t forget about the texture! Moist meat cloaked in a finger lickin’ sticky sweet sauce. MmmmMmmm!
These wings are great for a night at home, an easy dinner idea, back yard bbq, or tailgating. They can even be done on the grill instead in the oven. This recipe is so easy you could memorize it and keep it in your back pocket for meal inspiration or to treat friends to a recipe you love.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to resume eating my weight in wings. Bye for now!
- 12 whole chicken wings, divided into 12 drumettes and 12 wingettes (about 2 pounds)
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup coarse ground prepared mustard
- 1-2 medium chipotles, stems and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or sliced green onions(optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Oil 2 cookie sheets.
- Place the chicken wings in a large bowl and season generously with salt and pepper. Toss to combine, then spread evenly among the 2 cookie sheets.
- Place the wings in the oven and bake for 25 minutes on one side. While the wings are cooking, place the honey, mustard, and chipotle in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Remove the wings from the oven, loosen then with a spatula, then flip and bake for 10 minutes more.
- Transfer the wings to a large bowl and cover with the chipotle sauce. Toss to combine, then spread back on the cookie sheets and bake for 5 minutes more, until sticky. Sprinkle with parsley or green onions, if desired, then devour immediately.