I don’t know about you, but when I think pancakes I think fancy breakfast. I’m one of those people who emerges from bed more zombie-like than I’d like to admit. Can you imagine a zombie making your breakfast? Haha. Me too, but I wouldn’t want a zombie making my breakfast! I usually stick to something I can just pour milk over.
But on those special occasions when I have had an hour or so to wake up before I make breakfast, pancakes are a welcome treat. I’m talkin’ morning-after-slumber-party feast. Tony and I love whipping up a batch while hosting a sleep over for our nieces and nephews. Their eyes really light up when we place a little stack of these bad boys in front of them, especially after finding out they’re made from scratch. “What?! You made these?” Their appreciation always makes the pancakes worth their weight in gold.
This basic pancake recipe is the best, and trust me I’ve tried (failed) quite a few. They’re fluffy, light, and moist. I think the secret is in the thick batter. They’re even a little crispy around the edges if you eat them straight out of the pan. I hope I’m not the only one who does that. Note to self, create recipe that makes eating pancakes directly out of the pan less caveman-like. Pancake and bacon skillet served right in the pan and drizzled with cracked pepper maple syrup? Mmmm… uh huh!
We featured a deliciously fresh version here, which is just garnished with a bit of powdered sugar and fresh berries. Light, satisfying, and ridiculously photogenic. But the real star here is the pancakes, so top them any way your heart desires. Banana-chocolate chip? S’mores pancakes? We are dying to know, how do you jazz up your pancakes?
Too little time? Try this hack. Sift together the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Put it in a resealable plastic bag and save it for a busy morning. That way, all you have to do is add the eggs, milk, vinegar, and oil. Bada bing bada boom, pancakes! You could even triple or quadruple the dry ingredients, then add eggs, milk, vinegar, and oil to 1 ¼ cups of dry mix. We love saving time on recipes, so we thought you would too.
The next time you’re in the mood to make pancakes, skip the mix and try this recipe. They’re preservative free, have more flavor, and made with your loving hands. How can you say no?
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- butter for the pan
- fresh berries and powdered sugar for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk until well blended. Add the milk, vinegar, oil, and sugar to the eggs and whisk until incorporated
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and whisk together until only small lumps remain. The batter will be very thick.
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet or cast iron over medium heat. Coat with butter, then add ¼ cup of the batter to the pan for each pancake.
- Cook until bubble appear on the top of the pancake, about 3 minutes, then continue cooking until golden brown on both sides.
- Top pancakes with powdered sugar and berries, if desired, or your other topping of choice and enjoy!