2018 is almost here!! Which means people will actually use their gym memberships soon. Not to mention, drink smoothies – with protein powder even – and the countdown to bathing suit season begins. Before all that happens, we still have time for beautiful, mini-fied, guilt-free food. For me, new years eve is all about the finger food. As in, if I give up a glass of champagne, can I have 5 more of these mini-muffins?? 😉
I recently found and tried (for the first time) an online tool called Muffinator. The idea is that you answer several questions about what you want in your muffins and a few clicks later, you have a recipe! It doesn’t have every ingredient option you might want so it’s not perfect, but it’s a great place to start testing and adjusting if you want to come up with your own muffin recipe.
These muffins may be mini, but they’ve got a lot going on! Inside, there’s gruyere cheese, chopped ham, and orange zest (which will make your entire kitchen smell intoxicating). To make it even more interesting, I love topping them with the apple raisin chutney below. It’s not sweet like jam (even though it has fruit and sugar), but neither are the muffins with all those savory ingredients.
One huge tip for you when making these muffins…..
Make the chutney ahead of time. The second these muffins come out of the oven you are gonna want to dive in. And dive HARD!
Have a safe and happy new year everyone!! “See” you next year!
Savory Mini Muffins with Apple Chutney
- 1 egg
- 2 TBS sugar
- 2 TBS brown sugar
- 4 TBS melted butter
- ½ C milk
- 1¼ C flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ C gruyere cheese, grated
- ½ C ham, chopped
- ½ orange, zested
- ¼ C slivered almonds, toasted
- oil, to coat
- ½ onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TBS ginger root, minced
- 1 large apple, cored and diced
- ¼ c golden raisin
- ½ TBS whole grain mustard
- ¾ C sugar
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ C apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg, sugar, brown sugar, melted butter, and milk. In a larger bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture all at once and mix together half way.
- Add the grated cheese, ham, orange zest, and almonds. Mix just until all incorporated (don’t overmix).
- Grease and flour a mini muffin pan and distribute the batter evenly between them all. (should make 24 muffins) Bake for 15 minutes.
- Heat a small sauce pan with oil and cook the onions, garlic, and ginger until translucent.
- Add the apple and raisin to the pan and cook until soft.
- Add the mustard, sugar, red pepper, and vinegar. Cook for at least 30 minutes until desired consistency. Cool and refrigerate.