Wow, it’s been a while since I’ve posted here regularly. I don’t know that I have a “good” reason for that, but I do have a reason.
Sometimes blogging can be overwhelming, at least for me. I put a lot of pressure on myself to post things that I think people will want to read and also to portray myself and my life in a positive way in order to be inspiring to others. So when I’m not really eating as healthy as I usually do, when I’m not working out at all, and when I’m not cooking anything terribly exciting I just feel like I don’t have anything worth sharing. Rather than just writing a bunch of filler posts with no real point to them I just decide not to write anything at all.
I have been feeling incredibly lazy lately, in all aspects of my life. I haven’t gone running since before we got Dexter five or six weeks ago, I’ve only been to the gym twice in that same time frame and I’ve also been eating a lot more junk than I normally do. I’m not sure what the deal is but here are some of the excuses I’ve been using to justify my actions (or lack thereof):
- the weather – lots of cold winter-like weather here in Austin lately, which I love but it makes me want to snuggle and drink hot chocolate
- burn out – needing a break from being healthy for a while, which I think is really a big load of BS, except that I find myself using this as an excuse at least once a year
- Dexter – I feel guilty leaving him home to go to the gym or go running
- trying to get pregnant – I can’t drink while I’m pregnant and I want to workout and eat healthy while I’m pregnant so I’m using the time until I get pregnant to drink more than I normally do, eat more (and worse) than I normally do, and sit on my ass more. I can see this backfiring when I actually do get pregnant (if I’m already in the habit of being lazy then it will be harder to break once I’m pregnant)
- I’m not fat – I know that even though I’ve put on a few pounds I’m still a healthy weight for my height and I’m generally happy with how I look, so who cares, right?
All I know is that I have been LAZY and I’m finally tired of it. My pants are too tight and it’s not really dress weather so I need to get back on track for the sake of MY HEALTH and so I don’t have to go out and buy new clothes.
I know myself well enough to know that the best way for me to get back on track is with a challenge but I’ve been struggling to figure out exactly what challenge will be great enough to pull me out of this lazy-ass funk I’ve allowed myself to fall into. Enter No Meat Athlete’s ‘Eat to Live’ Challenge.
I’ve already read the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman but it was a couple of years ago and it didn’t really have that big of an impact on me. I was already eating really healthy at the time, I was happy with how I looked and how I felt, and so I just didn’t see the point in being even more strict with my nutrient intake. This is no longer the case. I need motivation. I need help!
I’ve placed the book and cookbook on hold from the library because I’m frugal and refuse to buy them. Now I just sit and wait for them to be ready for pick-up. I’m not exactly sure what aspects of the challenge I’m going to adopt yet. It’s been a while since I’ve read the book and I don’t remember all of the principles of Eat to Live so I’m going to wait until sometime next week before I set out the parameters of my challenge. I will be sure to keep you all updated on my quest to get back to it.